The Ampera is the first car tested by Euro NCAP to score maximum points in the side pole impact test, mandatory since 2009. In this test, the car is propelled sideways at 18 mph into a rigid pole that simulates a tree. Thanks to the outstanding crashworthiness and stiffness of the Ampera's core body structure, occupants are very well protected. Crash impact protection is provided by an extremely solid passenger cell. It has been designed to ensure the least possible deformation and the largest possible survival space in the event of a crash. To help dissipate high impact forces, the front, sides and rear of the passenger cell are protected by energy absorbing zones that deform in a controlled manner.
The electrical safety of the car was also checked after all the impact tests. The battery pack of the Ampera, comprising 288 cells in nine different modules, is located in the centre of the vehicle, and the vehicle structure is built around it. Thanks to the clever vehicle structural design, the battery pack, is efficiently protected from both front and side crash impacts and remains in its location. While post-crash electric safety aims to achieve zero high voltage current in an emergency, the high voltage battery pack can also be easily disconnected by rescue parties. After a crash, the Ampera is required to have no electrolyte spilled into the passenger compartment, and no more than seven per cent of the electrolyte can be found outside the passenger compartment and the battery.
Active and passive safety features on the Ampera include:
- Standard Four-wheel Anti-lock Braking System, Traction Control, Electronic
- Brake- force Distribution, Brake Assist and Electronic Stability Control
- Eight airbags including front-, side- , knee- air bags as well as roof-mounted head-curtain air bags that help protect occupants in a side or rollover crash
- Optional rear-view camera system featuring a display integrated into the navigation system screen
- An ISOFIX child seat installation system for the rear seating positions
- Adjustable head restraints on the front seats which helps provide protection against whiplash injury in the event of a rear-end collision
- Collapsible pedal assembly (Pedal Release System) for lower leg protection in a frontal impact. The pedal assembly is also collapsible (Pedal Release System) for lower leg protection in a frontal impact.