The system's 1.8-litre VVT-i petrol engine and electric motor generate a maximum 134bhp, giving nought to 62mph acceleration in 11.4 seconds and a top speed of 112mph, performance that matches any conventional 2.0-litre petrol or diesel hatchback.
When fitted with 15-inch wheels, combined cycle fuel economy is 74.3 mpg and CO2 emissions are 89 g/km; with the 17-inch wheel option the figures remain exceptional at 70.6 mpg and 93 g/km, levels unmatched by any other car in its segment. In addition, NOx emissions are significantly lower than those of diesel cars of comparable performance. Across the range, the emissions performance exempts Auris Hybrid from UK road tax (VED).
When taking advantage of the full hybrid system's switchable EV (electric vehicle) mode, CO2 and NOx emissions are cut to zero over distances of up to 1.2 miles at speeds of up to 30 mph, according to the level of battery charge and driving conditions.
Auris Hybrid is offered in the UK in two specification grades, T4 and T Spirit. T4 models can be specified with 15 or optional 17-inch wheels, with the larger rims standard on the T Spirit version. The choice of wheel size has a slight effect on CO2 emissions and fuel consumption.
Key features of the standard T4 include:
- Climate control air conditioning
- Six-speaker audio with CD, radio, MP3 file player
- USB and Aux-in connection
- Front and rear electric windows
- Electric, heated door mirrors
- Front fog lights
- LED running lights
- Colour-matched door handles and mirrors
- Push-button start
- Seven airbags, including driver's knee airbag
- Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRC)
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
T Spirit grade adds the following items:
- Leather and Alcantara upholstery
- Cruise control
- Dusk-sensing headlamps
- Rain-sensing windscreen wipers
- Smart Entry and Start
- Auto-dimming electrochromatic rear view mirror
- Rear view camera display in rear view mirror
The new Auris Hybrid T4 model costs £18,950 on-the-road and the T Spirit model costs £20,700. An optional Navigation Pack, providing satellite navigation, rear camera and rear parking sensors, costs £1,200, and Bluetooth can be specified for the T4 version for £285.