The most important information at a glance:
- smart is the only car manufacturer worldwide to offer its model range with both combustion engines and pure battery-electric drive as the smart fortwo, smart fortwo cabrio and smart forfour are available as electric drive models.
- The smart fortwo cabrio is the only electric cabriolet on the market.
- With torque of 160 Newton metres, the 60 kW electric car boasts exceedingly responsive acceleration.
* Electric power consumption, weighted: 13.1 - 12.9 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions, combined: 0 g/km
When fully charged the battery has sufficient power to cover approximately 160 kilometres (100 miles) in accordance with the NEDC, making it ideal for urban use.
- With the high-performance on-board charger the smart electric drive can be charged up to twice as quickly as before (depending on the country version and the electricity supply network).
- With the new fast charger (optional extra available from 2017) the vehicle can be fully charged in less than 45 minutes (depending on the country version and the electricity supply network).
smart electric drive: agile, quiet and local emission-free urban driving
In line with the rest of the range, the smart's driving characteristics are as agile and lively as ever. The ultra-small turning circle of 6.95 metres contributes to this. The smart electric drive will come with a wide variety of colours and optional equipment - making it easy for the customer to personalise their smart electric drive.
Charging time is an important factor for electric vehicle customers and the new smart electric drive boasts major improvements here. All models have a new, powerful on-board charger as standard. In the USA and Great Britain the charging time is 2.5 hours - half as long as for its predecessor. In Germany, where a different charger is needed due to single-phase alternating current, the smart electric drive can be charged 40 percent faster than before at a household socket. With the "smart control" app the charging process can be conveniently monitored remotely, the app also includes many more functions such as intelligent charging..
From 2017 a particularly powerful 22 kW fast charger will be available as an option. This enables the smart electric drive to be charged in as little as 45 minutes.
The smart fortwo electric drive models are series produced at smart's Hambach plant (France). The smart forfour electric drive is produced at the Novo Mesto site (Slovenia). The smart is equipped with a battery from the Daimler subsidiary Deutsche ACCUMOTIVE. The company, based in Kamenz, Saxony, has been building the electric heart of the smart electric drive since 2012.
A 60 kW (81 hp) electric motor works at the rear of the smart electric drive and transmits its power via a constant ratio to the wheels. Powerful torque of 160 Nm is immediately available from a standstill. The electric drive has a range of approximately 160 km (100 miles) - ideal for emission-free mobility in and around cities. The maximum speed is electronically limited to 130 km/h (80 mph) to maximise the range.
Thanks to the power characteristics of the electric motor, the smart needs just one single fixed gear ratio. There is no need for any gear changing - a major advantage in dense city traffic. To reverse, the engine's direction of rotation changes. The drivetrain is produced in Renault's plant in Clèon, Northern France.
Smart prices ForTwo Brabus
20 September 2016